Friday, November 11, 2011

Shoes

I am all about Vincent Van Gogh this quarter! He is one of my favorite artists and his work offers so much inspiration. Check out this GE sponsored installation at London's National Gallery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=541_ke_ADl0

 He is famous for a series of paintings of shoes. They have such an expressive quality; they are almost like portraits, as they can tell you so much about their owners. These paintings served as the inspiration for our current ceramics project. Students are working from observation to create a shoe sculpture that tells the viewer about themselves. Below I have included pictures of two projects that are approaching completion: a soccer shoe and worn-in Converse. I am absolutely floored by the quality of these pieces. This is easily high school quality work! I would love to enter them into an art contest, if I can only find one.